Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Work, Work, Work!

This is a picture of the tile that Clint & Ambrie put in on the wall by the stairs. The glaze is kind of iridescent and is fun to look at, not to mention the fact that it feels cool.
Clint & Ambrie were cleaning up in the garage so that they would have more room to paint and so I had 3 beds for Hayden for a few days. He really liked having that thick bed! I was tempted to put a pea in between the two beds, just to see if he would notice. I bet he would have!
I think that by now you should all be aware of the fact that I have a strange dog, and I really like it when he is weird. I take pictures because I wish you could all know just HOW strange he is, but the pictures only tell a tiny piece of the story. So here are a few more sleeping pictures.
I think this is a great picture because Hayden looks like he is stretching, but really, it is just another odd sleeping position.
I did some yard work this past Saturday in preparation for the winter. I thought that all of our flowers were dead but then I found these. In the next few pictures it should become clear why I didn't find them for awhile.
BEFORE:

AFTER:

Isn't it AMAZING what cleaning up clutter can do for a space! You can hardly tell that it is the same garden, huh? I was slightly nervous while raking this garden because along the back, against the cement blocks, there were snake skins. They were empty, but there was a lot of detritus, and if I were a snake, that is where I would be hiding!
In the second "After" picture, there is a big rose bush that you can just see the edges of on the far right. Next to that is a smaller rose bush that I planted just this summer. It has grown to about three times the size that it was when I got it and has bloomed about once a month. I bought two bushes at the same time, the one in the picture and then one that I planted in the back yard. The one I planted in the back yard is about 3/4 of the size that it was when I bought it and it hasn't bloomed once. I'm not sure if you are supposed to transplant roses in the fall, but I moved it to the front garden. I'm hoping it will do a little better there.

BEFORE:
AFTER:
Once again, I just find the difference amazing! I didn't even finish raking this garden. The far side of it still hadn't been raked when I took the picture but my hands were bruised. That makes me sound like I don't ever do anything and so any work makes my hands hurt but give me a break! That was a LOT of raking. I should have taken pictures of the piles of stuff I raked up.
There weren't any snake skins in this garden, but there was an animal hole . . . maybe it was a reptile hole (Shivering with disgust). Really, I kind of like snakes but when one slithers across my path and surprises me, I have a tendency to scream. I find it really embarrassing because I like to think that I am not a girly girl. Mice and snakes . . . they are fine as long as I know where they are and I'm expecting to see or touch them.
I know that this flower is pretty much dead, but it has nice color! I was really happy to be able to get out and work in the garden. I just got my new medicine for my pelvic pain and I'm hoping that I will be able to get out on a more consistent basis. :)

I don't have any pictures to go along with the rest of my news, but I'm hoping that my writing will be entertaining enough to make up for it!
I started going to the singles ward again on November 2nd. I'm trying to be more involved this time around so that then I can blame other people when I still don't have friends. What? I'm trying, it isn't my fault if they don't want to be my friends. Anyway, back to the involvement thing . . . I decided that I should go to ward prayer on Sunday night (for those of you who don't know what ward prayer is, it is a chance for all of the single people to get together, sing, have a spiritual thought and a prayer to close out the day . . . and pick up on people of the opposite sex.) My dad calls it ward scare and I think his name for it has been more appropriate in the past. This new ward is good though, it was actually more of a discussion than a staring contest and I really enjoyed it.
I was working on a craft project (HO HO HO) and lost track of the time and so I asked Ambrie if she could give me a ride. She graciously did so. I got out of the truck and she drove away and that is when I realized that the church was awfully dark. I looked at my phone and realized that I had been so stressed about running late that I got there an hour early. Luckily there is a baseball field behind the church and it has covered dug outs. I hid in the shadow of one, partially to protect me from the wind and partially to hide from the people who came to open the church. My greatest fear at that moment was that someone would see me and ask how long I had been there. No one found me. The people got there and opened the church about five minutes before we were supposed to start and I snuck in and hid on some stairs in a dark hallway. Again, I feel that some of you are wondering why I do these things. The answer is, because being the first one there, and being new, would make me look over anxious and slightly crazy.
So I go into the room that we hold ward prayer in & I'm sitting in a chair (what, did you think I'd be sitting on an apple? Don't be ridiculous!) and the guy next to me introduced himself, asked for my name, blah, blah, blah. He then asked what year I graduated from high school.
Me: I graduated in 2001
Dan (for this is the name of said guy): Oh, you're getting older! Not really old yet, but getting there. I graduated in 2005.
Me: Yeah. I only feel old because I live in Utah Valley. When I really think about it I realize that I am still really young.
My thoughts: What kind of a jerk are you? Come a little closer and I'll show you what happens when you get older. You get crabby and kick people!! I only feel old because people like you say rude things like that and think that I should be married. Guess what buddy, I'M NOT READY TO DATE ANYONE SERIOUSLY, LET ALONE GET MARRIED!!!! I'M HAPPY TO BE SINGLE!
Some people think I should say what I think because it is entertaining. I think I should so that guys learn to not say stupid things.
Coming up on my next blog update . . . "I may be a crazy dog lady, but I am NOTHING compared to this crazy cat lady I met. Seeing eye cat, indeed!"
'till then
BIRD

9 comments:

Brienne Shumway said...

You're funny Jennifer. And you should have teased that guy about being so young. Whoa. He is probably back from his mission and I am calling him young. That makes me feel really old. Shoot dawg. I liked the update. It was entertaining. I was giggling but you probably heard me so I don't really need to tell you :) Keep em' coming.

CommonMama said...

Ohhhhh that is why you were hiding, I was wondering. Gardens look great, it is such a satisfying hobby. Hayden sleeps weird. Bo does sometimes too. It must be because they are cousins. Is he coming for Thanksgiving? procando
this is my word identification. I think that I have an uncanny knack for getting really long ones.

VermontMom said...

I love your stories and think that you should have a side job writing for a magazine or something. Give Hayden a hug for me.

Elliotts said...

Those gardens look amazing! Nice work! And I'm glad to hear that nothing slithery or slimy attacked you while you were working.

Me said...

Thank you THank you Thank you for my late night chuckle...you totally should have just let him have it...Love you soooooo much

Erica said...

Wow, lot of work! I hope the crazy cat lady doesn't come across your blog.

Meredith said...

Look at that cute dog. I miss seeing his pictures...

Monica said...

Your gardening skills are so impressive! Maybe I'll hire you when we have a yard haha

Susan said...

Boys can be so silly! Thank you for bringing back fond ward prayer and scare memories from LONG ago. Don't worry, I think you are very young. I myself am feeling a bit old these days.