Tuesday, September 25, 2012

BOSTON!!

Last week, I went to Boston to pound the pavement in my search for a job in the area.  I took the MegaBus down and back, and stayed in Braintree while I was there.  Here are some pictures that I took on my journey.
The sunset as we crossed into the Boston city limits
The first thing I saw when I left the bus station.
The overpass I crossed each day on the Red Line of the T as I headed into the city.
Boston's Old State House
Two pretty cool buildings with a narrow alley between them.
Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority Rapid Transit (T) Routes Map.  Must memorize at some point.
The view from my motel balcony.
Saltwater.  I saw it, and I thought my heart would burst, I was so happy to see ocean water!
This was a cool piece of art work hanging over an intersection near Boston Common.  It was made with mirror-type materials.  It was BEAUTIFUL!
A fountain on the Boston Common side of the Robert Gould Shaw Memorial
Boston State House
The front side of the Robert Gould Shaw memorial
Boston City Hall, with flags
Faneuil Hall, where Wait, Wait, Don't Tell me has performed several times. 
Quincy Market.  It's pronounced Quin-zee, not Quin-see.  Here's why:
Why Do We Pronounce it 'Quin-zee'?
Why do we pronounce Quincy 'Quin-zee' when just about everyone else in the country refers to it as 'Quin-see'? There are 19 other Quincys in the U.S. but they pronounce it 'Quin-see'. Can they be right and we be wrong?

Not according to Quincy's late city historian, William C. Edwards who never budged an inch whenever the argument ever came up. And it still comes up.

The reason we pronounce it 'Quin-zee' is very simple.

The original Quincy family which settled here at Mount Wollaston pronounced it 'Quin-zee', including Col. John Quincy after whom Quincy, Mass. - the first Quincy - was named in 1792.

Colonel Quincy was the great grandfather of sixth President John Quincy Adams.

Apparently, all 19 other Quincys in the U.S. were named after John Quincy Adams. And, apparently the early settlers of those communities thought John Quincy pronounced it John 'Quin-see'.

Anyway, that is how Edwards explained it. Seems like a sound argument.

Reprint from the Quincy Sun, 'Historic Quincy' Supplement, June 27, 1996
Lobster in Quincy Market (pronounced Lobstah).
Durgin Park!  A family tradition since my grandparents on my dad's side went just after they got married.
Durgin Park cornbread.  I got it because, I have recently learned, my nephew, Skylar, LOVES cornbread.
I got the Yankee-style pot roast.  It was amazingly delicious
Lobsters say no to pot . . . and if THEY know to say no, I do too! :D
Yep, that Blue Line train is headed for Wonderland!
The firetrucks were out being washed when I was walking to the library in Braintree.  Yes, I went to the library on vacation.
This is a fountain in the courtyard at the Boston Public Library so . . . Yes.  I went to two libraries.
A cool church
A picture I took from the back side of the Old State House.   
A sign on the side of the Old State House.  Oh, interesting fact, there is a T Station in the basement of the Old State House.
I decided to get on the train for Wonderland.  I got off one stop before Wonderland.  The stop was . . .
Revere Beach.  I HAD to go to the ocean.  My one regret: I didn't have a swimsuit
Ocean, ocean, ocean
More ocean
A shell on the beach
Wet, sandy toes in the ocean!
A Church that has been converted into condos on Broadway Street in South Boston
Had dinner here on Friday.  On Broadway, in South Boston
A misty-morning farewell from the train platform in Braintree
Adams academy, see next picture
How cool is that? 
This bust of John Hancock was in the yard of Adams Academy.  It doesn't seem that big BUT, check out the next picture
It was a HUGE bust.  (Insert immature laughter here)
The stone library at the Adams Historic Park in Quincy, Massachusetts.

And I did it all in three days.  I can hardly wait to go to Boston again tomorrow!

6 comments:

Jake and Alyssa said...

Hehehe immature laughter...

Monica said...

I love hearing your personality in these posts :)

alicetaylor said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

http://word-cookies-answers.com

Linda said...

Thanks for sharing the information. It is very useful for my future. keep sharing
potaca

alicetaylor123 said...


Many thanks for sharing the information in your blog

http://word-cookies-answers.com

Unknown said...

Play now: action online games at minclip