Thursday, October 16, 2008

New Stuff!!

So, most of you know that I have a LOT of stuff, but I guess it just wasn't enough. There were still some bare spots in my apartment, so last night some friends and I went to Pier 1 and I did my thing! I don't think I have any skill with decorating (in case any of you think that I'm trying to brag.), I just get stuff that I think is fun/interesting and, most importantly, on clearance!
I found these funky dogs awhile ago, but I wasn't willing to pay full price for them (I am hardly ever willing to pay full price on non essential items), so I waited. There is a Basset Hound and an Afghan Hound.

As you look at the pictures, please remember that they are taken with a camera phone, thus some are pretty blurry. The pictures where the walls look white reflect the actual color of the dogs the best.



Then there are these ladies. A splendid combination of ceramic and metal (and wood, but just as the base), I think they have a lot of character, especially for people without faces!!! Again, I've had my eyes on these for a few months. They were still on the more expensive end, but there were only two left, so I splurged. (No worries, I didn't cross the $20 line on either one.) This picture is particularly blurry, I'll try to get a better one during the daylight hours sometime.


I'm big on texture, and glass. I love smooth glass (much better than jagged, trust me!) This paperweight was full price, but I needed some color, and you'll see why in a bit. It is heavy, smooth and cool. Holding it makes me feel very calm. I think it is almost perfect for the OCD sufferer, only thing is, it ISN'T round. Then it would be perfect.


I love this lady. I did cross the $20 line with her, but I HAD to have her. There is a paperweight at an antique shop in Orem that will go well with this piece, and it was on clearance. I really love Egyptian stuff (Mom and Dad, if you want to include the "Book of the Dead" papyrus with the Acorn bedroom set when you die, I'd be OK with that.) If you click on this first picture of (I call her Nefertiti, I know that isn't really who it is . . . ) you can see the reason the egg-paperweight was such a perfect choice. Leave a comment explaining why you think it is such a good choice!

Yeah, another one.

and yet another, I want you to get the full effect!

The base is black wood.

Now, I bet you are wondering, "how did she put this all together?" Keep on going, and you'll see!! I put the lemon trees up b/c they need to be somewhere semi-warm (aka, not out in the freezing cold) for the winter. I think I may need to find something live to go there when they go out next summer, but I've got a couple of months to decide.
Now, if you think I have hideous taste, I'll be fine. What matters is that I LOVE to look at this stuff. Hey, it's my apartment!
Leave comments, I love hearing what you all think!



Love you all (that it is appropriate for me to love!)
Da' BIRD

8 comments:

CommonMama said...

Looks really cool. I especially love the dogs. And that glass paperweight is absolutely awesome!!!! It looks extremely pleasant to look at and I imagine it feels nice too.

Brienne Shumway said...

Awesome! The whole layout looks great especially with the plants in the middle! I bet it makes your apartment seem more like home. And with your new wood floors you are decorating the place up quite nicely I must say. It looks great Jen :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the non-round glass paperweight. It reminds me of one of those liquid motion toys my Dad had in his office.

I also love the ceramic ladies. And I like the swirly thing in the last picture- I'm not sure if that was a recent purchase or not. The dogs are a must-have, of course, but I don't think I could sleep at night in the same room with the Egyptian lady's head. Creepy.

VermontMom said...

I think you have a grand decorating sense. Don't sell your self short... that must be one for Aaron.

Elliotts said...

Double-dog dare accepted. Personally I love the dogs, the women and the layout with the plants. Not so sure about Nefertiti...she scares me. But, you wanted my 2 cents and you get it! ;)

Me said...

You crazy cool woman...I wish my home looked so chic and lovely!

Brittany said...

Hey friend! I just found your blog! I love the paperweight. It is really cool.

I am sure you don't mind my linking to your blog on mine!

Monica said...

My favorite is definitely the glass paperweight :) I can't believe Jess has a blog that I didn't know about! You must be a better blog stalker than me haha